Custom cabinets are an excellent option for those that are looking for something a little different. Something that is truly custom and that no one else has.
[av_dropcap2 color=”default” custom_bg=”#444444″]C[/av_dropcap2]ustom cabinets are at the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to cost. Finding a good custom cabinet maker that can make you exactly what you want will take some time. They have to be versed in the art of cabinet making, which is different from furniture. They need to know how to build doors and drawer fronts, drawer boxes, cabinet boxes. They need to know different kinds of hardware (hinges, glides, etc.). They need to know about finishing and finishes, stains, paints, glazes. They need to know about distressing and aging of the wood. If you are looking for a more modern or European look, they should know about Thermofoils and its application to the wood panels and framless cabinetry, as most of this style cabinetry is frameless.
Custom Cabinets Phoenix
If you are considering truly custom cabinetry, you should look at several things.
- Have you looked at or considered any other cabinet systems and haven’t been able to find what your looking for?
- There are several cabinet companies out there that offer customization of their cabinets, custom finishes and custom, one-off cabinets within their door style options. This can save you some money if other cabinet companies have or can make it for you, since they already have all of the equipment and tools to make cabinets.
- Are you willing to pay the additional cost involved with custom cabinets?
- True, custom cabinets come at a premium. They are not the most affordable option. You can easily expect to pay upwards of 60-85% more for custom built cabinets.
- What species of wood are you looking for?
- Certain species of wood cost more than others. If you are looking for a painted cabinet, wood species is not as important as if they are going to be stained. Woods such as poplar and maple are less expensive and perform very well for painted cabinets. If the cabients are to be stained and finished, this is where wood species is the most important. Different wood species have different grain patterns and color variations, some more dramatic than others. Hickory, for instance, can have very different grain colors, just in one small piece.
- Aged or distressed look?
- Aging and distressing is very chic these days. With the whole reclaimed, shabby chic, refirbished craze going on, aged and distressed cabinets are very popular. There are different levels of distressing and aging that can be applied to the cabinets. Do some research before making your decision.
Custom cabinets are absolutely stunning and can make a very large impact on your property, if they are in your budget. There are a lot of options available out there. Take your time, do your research, and make an educated, informed decision.